Chicken Tortillia Soup

tortilla-soupThe holidays are firmly behind us and if you’re like me, you are ready to get back to the basics. That means returning to the kitchen to cook up some crowd pleasers that are easy on the wallet and the waistline. My wholesome Chicken Tortilla Soup really hits the spot and is destine to become a family favorite. With a few fresh ingredients and a well-stocked pantry, you can have dinner on the table any night of the week in 15 minutes or less!

Chicken Tortilla Soup
2 chicken breasts baked and cubed
3 14 ounce cans of chicken broth
1 large onion chopped
1 cup fresh or frozen corn
½ cup instant brown rice
2 cloves garlic pressed
1 16 ounce can tomato sauce
1 14 ounce can of Rotel tomatoes and green chilies
1 cup water
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Toppings
1 avocado chopped
4 ounce Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese, shredded
Sour cream
Tortilla chips

Pour about ½ cup of chicken broth into the bottom of a large soup pot set to medium high heat. Cook onions in broth for about 7-8 minutes until they are clear. Add garlic and cook for one minute more. Add remaining ingredients, except corn and cook until mixture begins to boil. Turn heat down and simmer for 10 minutes. Add corn just before serving with toppings.

About Lorie Fangio

I am a lifestyle advisor with a passion for connecting families Around the Table for mealtime. We are becoming a society that doesn’t even speak to each other, texting and internet relationships are the norm and it is impacting our culture. I believe the human connection as we know it, is in danger. Finding time to spend together as a family unit can be difficult especially with dual family careers and children that are often hyper scheduled. My mission is to inspire families, with a no nonsense approach to real food. Gathering Around the Table is key to the foundation of familial relationships. Sitting down to a meal is much more than breaking bread, it is a bonding ritual for families that actually protects our kids from all the dangerous stuff in the world. With tips and techniques we can all get our families Around the Table!
This entry was posted in Food and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Chicken Tortillia Soup

1. Becki says:

This looks really good! And easy! I’m going to try it!

2. David P. Crowder says:

Lorie,  Sounds really good, especially during these really cold times.  Thanks, Dad

________________________________

3. Kathy N says:

Going to try this soon. Looks yummy.

4. murfun2 says:

I really enjoy reading your posts. Please take a peek at new blog I have started. I am trying to grow my site and appreciate any “likes” or “new followers”. Thank You. I love your site!!!

5. fobes4some says:

Yummm!! Sounds great Lorie.. I usually use one of those soup starter packs and add shredded rotisserie chicken and corn… I like the brown rice etc.. Will definitely try your recipe this week! 🙂 Sharon

Sent from my iPhone

6. Gary Abshire says:

I can make this one, and lower sodium is a plus. Thanks!

7. Evelyn Hartz says:

I’m just now looking at this. It looks yummy! I might substitute canned chicken instead.
    Thank-you for these recipes!

• loriefangio says:

Sure you can sub canned chicken, I used to do that all the time. Now I cook several chicken breast on the bone, skin on and I freeze them to be ready at a moments notice. Get the chicken cold before freezing to protect quality!